Thursday, December 27, 2007

Post from Greece - Continued from December 17th post


I had questions about LW post from December 17th, here are her responses.

Thank you LW for taking the time.

Growing up in Greece, was it like this for you as well, you mentioned that you would make lunch for your sister and yourself?

For me and my sister things were a lot different compared to the other kids. My parents were pretty concerned about what we ate, they didn't allow sweets, prepackaged snacks, fried food etc. I forgot to mention that we come from a mixed ethnic background and maybe that also made a difference (both Asian and European). My mother cooked almost everyday, and she gave big emphasis to sea food, greens and wholegrain. My dad also is not a big eater, rather a gourmet person always eats very little selected things. I prepared breakfast and a lunchbox, for me and my sis, as I was the oldest. Usually I made something out of leftovers, with added fruit. No one else at our school had a fresh home cooked lunch, so we were the odd balls, not eating Mars bars and chips. My sis was pretty sad about it and she threw her lunch away so her friends will not make fun of her. I was never particularly influenced by friends, and I was always the outsider, so I was enjoying my lunch with the company of the weirdos of the school (the diabetic kid who needed 3 insulin shots everyday, the school gay guy, and the school slut lol!)


When do you think things started to change?

Everything changed after 1985. Up until then the TV had 2 channels both state owned. After private TV started broadcasting, ppl were very influenced from what they watched. Everybody wanted to be like the ppl on the soap operas and the advertisements. Sounds silly huh?


Do you think its a big city issue or do you think its throughout Greece?

Things are much worse in the province, were ppl in general are less educated on food and health issues. Our province is very underdeveloped, especially in winter time there is nothing to do but eat, smoke, and drink alcohol. Bare in mind, Greece has 10 million ppl, 5-6 live in Athens, 1 million is Thessaloniki, and the rest is scattered around in smaller cities and islands. Most ppl live in an urban environment, but the rest because the demographics are so unusual are living a very uninteresting life. Usually ppl in the province are working only during summers on the tourism business, and just spend the rest of the year doing nothing. It can be very boring, so they fill their boredom and empty time with silly things.


Any ideas on how to approach making it better?

Better education first of all. There are no classes at school about the importance of good home cooked food. Also more emphasis on sports and outdoor activities, non smoking regulations etc. Do you know that there are specific areas at schools where students are allowed to smoke cigarettes?And many times teachers are smoking in the classroom?Also better food choices in the school kiosks.Also education for young mothers on the importance of breastfeeding, organic food and home cooked food.


Why did you turn to Bento?

Due to my ethnic background I went on Saturday morning classes of Japanese culture for kids with mixed backgrounds. My grand mother was Japanese, and my uncle was also manager at the Library of the Japanese embassy in Athens. I was lucky to have the influence, of a different culture, and embrace my uniqueness, instead of trying to be"normal" and do as everyone else around me. I can't say the same about my sis though...

No comments: