Saturday, November 10, 2007

Venezuela v.s. Oakland School food

My friend Mariedda wrote,

In Venezuela lunch is taken very seriously, when I was growing up, lunch in the school cafeteria meant soup, some type of meet, rice, vegetables, the smell of home cooking. These days, more in a city as crazy is Caracas, bringing a lunch to school means you bring a sandwich and fruit, or you buy something, but when you get to your home there will be a full lunch waiting for you.

Based on that I was always traumatized, what to serve to my kids, I was feeling totally guilty if they didn't;t have a balance food during the day. The American diet felt like a joke. Even today in the Oakland School district we don't have the privilege of having Alice Waters, and the cafeteria foods, what my daughter calls "plastic food" they don't even cook it at school, I thinks there is no kitchen....terrible.

For additional info about Venezuela,
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108140.html

No comments: